Wednesday, May 22, 2013

A Regular Guy with Football Dreams--Christian Hood

"A Regular Guy with Football Dreams--Christian Hood"




Check out the highlight film of Christian Hood who played wide receiver and defensive back for Andrean High School in Merrillville, Indiana. Below, Chris shares his trials and tribulations that he battled with his love for the game with hopes to motivate others to follow their dreams despite the obstacles you may face or the negative feedback that you may receive from peers. "If they don't know your dreams, then they can't shoot them down." 


"Hello, my name is Christian Hood---Indiana State University (ISU) scholar and Construction Management major. I graduated in 2011 from Andrean - a private school in Merrillville, Indiana- where I participated in Track & Field and Football. I mainly focused on the sport of Football , given its significance to me and my passion for the game which is why many thought I would go on to play football after high school. Unfortunately, and for reasons I cannot fully explain...feelings of inadequacy prohibited me from aggressively pursuing the sport. Rather than address my unreasonable fear of failure, I reasoned that football was not for everyone and was a totally different game at the college level. Essentially, low self-esteem and others' opinions prompted my decision to forego playing football at the start of my college experience and give up on the game I love dearly. I not only sat out, what would have been my first year of football, but I also postponed my freshman year of college. I now believe that to have been one of the worst decisions of my life, though I also   believe that everything happens for a reason. For example, during the year that I sat out, a friend introduced me to the Lake County Steelers--a semi-pro league in Portage, Indiana. I eventually played with them for 1 and a half years before retiring from the game to attend college at Purdue University Calumet (PUC). While at P.U.C., I began missing football again, but there was no football team in place. Therefore, I decided to finish out the semester and transfer to ISU the following semester. Unbeknownst to me, I was unable to transfer to ISU once the following semester approached and had to wait for the summer to take courses, due to miscommunication. 
During my time of waiting, I conditioned and built up my body, in preparation for the season ahead. I also spent most of my time contacting a number of coaches--most of whom never returned my call. Even still, I was not discouraged because the day my feet touched down on the ISU campus I planned on visiting the football office to discuss the possibility of me joining the team. On May 13, 2013, soon after my Econ class, I walked to the football office and upon entry, confidently introduced myself to a Caucasian male--whom I believed to be one of the coaches. He asked, "How may I help you?", and I replied, "I am looking to join the football team here at ISU." I was then instructed to write down my information and told me he would contact me, in the event that more people were needed to help out in the summer.

Because I am attempting to "walk on" to the team, I am required to undergo tryouts when school reconvenes in the fall. Once I've survived tryouts (and I will survive them), the staff must determine available spots. At this point, I am believing God for favor and having faith that there will be a spot for me on ISU's football team, because I did not come this far to quit. Moreover, I desire to play for the NFL someday, if it is God's will, and I understand that it requires much hard work and dedication. 

To that end, to all those students who are graduating soon, continue to work hard until your goals become tangible, and do not hesitate to grab them by the horns. Be respectful of everyone you encounter, because you never know who's company you might be keeping. Most importantly, stay humble and be kind, so as to never have to recant and/or regret words spoken out of ignorance to someone who might actually hold the key an,otherwise, locked door. In closing, those who are humble and demonstrate patience in God's process are blessed, because there's no timing like God's timing and His timing is best! "



I ask that you use Christian's story as an inspiration to dedicate yourself to becoming whatever it is that you choose to become! Your dreams won't work unless you do! Your not a loser when you lose, your a loser when you quit! With that being said, #BeInspired & STAY STRONG!

No comments:

Post a Comment