Friday, March 22, 2013

"Dreams" - a poem written by Chanel Johnson




"Dreams"


Believing that I can do the impossible, 
even when there are obstacles...
I believe in me. 
Never doubting, even when my vision gets cloudy,
when my opponents start shouting,
waiting on my defeat, 
I will be the dream of my mother, grandmother, and my father.
The influential daughter,
who was fortunate enough to dream,
 in a time when success only seems to be measured by who you impress, 
how you dress, how big is your breast?
The flat out bullshit we accept. 
No more aiming for an A+ , 
only plan B pills and how fast did you buss,
hopeless children with no one to trust,
looking for love but only finding lust.
Is this what we have become?
The lost generation,
but just be patient....
I have the courage of Angela Davis,
The intellect of Toni Morrison,
even the bluest eyes won't intimidate me 
because like Maya Angelou "Still I Rise"!
I will rise for the people that sat,
the single mother who didn't get her chance,
for the boy without a plan,
for those men who are being tossed in prison cells,
 faster than I can flip my penny into a wishing well,
cause they were only taught to give and sale.
So now this prison cell is what he will call home,
so the girl who sits alone will pick her head up,
and see her strength,
 her power...
her wit...
it still exists,
even when you can't see it yourself,
have no doubts,
you can achieve it,
whatever you desire to be...
you can become!
NO!
We are not dumb!!!
This is my declaration to become,
 everything they said we couldn't,
everything they said we shouldn't...
I will be!
I will never be to afraid to dream of better tomorrows,
or believe those who say I'm aiming too high,
What makes Oprah Winfrey any different from me?
Why can't I live out my dreams?
They say those things don't happen to people like us...
but who told you that you weren't good enough?
Because I mustered up enough courage,
to not give a fuck!
It won't be luck,
I will conquer my dreams!!
I'M ANTIWEAK! 



No comments:

Post a Comment